Sometimes we need to perform acts of kindness for reasons other than trying to achieve “good karma.” These acts, no matter how big or small, will make someone else’s day brighter as well as improve your mood!
I came across randomactsofkindness.org recently, an “internationally recognized non-profit organization founded upon the powerful belief in kindness and dedicated to providing resources and tools that encourage acts of kindness,” and I couldn’t believe that I hadn’t heard of this organization before. What a simple, yet powerful concept! On the site you can use free kindness resources (such as links, recommended books, and educators), share stories of kindness, create your own page, and much more.
Random Act of Kindness Week is February 13th through the 19th, so here are a few of my own ideas for random acts of kindness for each day of the week!
- Monday – bring a cup of coffee in for a colleague who seemed to have a stressful week. I’m sure they will appreciate this act of kindness, especially on a Monday morning!
- Tuesday – say “good morning” or “good afternoon” to everyone you see at work.
- Wednesday – send an email or Facebook message to an old friend you’d like to reconnect with.
- Thursday – look for things that can either be picked up or fixed; ie: pick up any litter you see in the parking lot while walking into work, or put stray shopping carts in their proper place if you go grocery shopping.
- Friday – when you go out to lunch ask someone you wouldn’t normally ask to join you, or ask others if you can pick something up for them while you’re out.
- Saturday – send a handmade card to a friend or family member who you know could use a little extra love.
- Sunday – do something nice for yourself! Take yourself out to a restaurant you’ve wanted to try for a while, or, make a gratitude list of at least 20 things you are thankful for in your life right now.
What are your ideas for Random Acts of Kindness Week? Let us know by comment or tweet!